Seven Common Causes of Hair Loss and How to Treat Them
Struggling with hair loss is an overwhelming experience for many men and women. We often don’t realize what a huge part hair plays in defining our identity, especially women. It also plays a significant role in societies worldwide and holds a lot of symbolism for many cultures. So, when we start to lose our hair, it can feel devastating to many. At Nirvana Med Spa in Little Rock, AR, board-certified physician Dr. Salman Hashmi understands how upsetting it can feel to watch your hair get thinner, recede, or develop bald spots.
Our first goal is to determine the underlying cause because that is critical to personalizing the best treatment plan for you. However, if you already understand the problem, you may be researching alternatives for hair loss. If so, we provide conservative and more involved procedures for your hair loss needs. Please read about the seven common causes of hair loss and schedule an appointment to learn more about techniques that could help you. Dr. Hashmi and his team provide a compassionate and knowledgeable approach to finding a solution for you.
What are some of the primary hair loss causes?
Hair loss can occur for various reasons, including genetics, stress, autoimmune issues, and hormonal imbalances. Some of the most common types include:
- Androgenetic alopecia (female or male pattern baldness) – This type of hair loss is one of the most common. Although you cannot stop it from happening because it’s caused by genetics, we can perform FUE or FUT transplants. Additionally, you may want to take supplements and use PRP therapy to stimulate the scalp and reverse the miniaturization of hair follicles, so they look fuller, healthier, and longer.
- Telogen effluvium – Unfortunately, extreme stress and hair loss go hand in hand. If you experience severe anxiety, you may start to lose your hair. This type of hair loss is usually reversible, but sometimes your hair and scalp need a little extra love at this time. In addition to stress management, we may recommend things that soothe the scalp and encourage growth, like PRP therapy or cell regeneration therapy. If your hair does not grow back after a stressful event, our team may recommend FUT or FUE hair transplants.
- Alopecia areata – Often caused by an autoimmune issue, this condition appears as patches of circular bald spots throughout the scalp. Before treating this with a more complex procedure, we may recommend that you receive additional help to determine what triggers the hair loss. This condition may also benefit from more conservative treatments, like PRP, cell regeneration therapy, or microneedling.
- Anagen effluvium – This typically happens because of abnormal hair loss within the growth cycle. It occurs because of protein deficiency, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. Because of the underlying causes, we may use PRP or cell regeneration therapy to help encourage new growth once you no longer require the medication. Otherwise, gentle scalp massages, a good diet, and supplements may promote a regular growth cycle.
- Traction alopecia – If you wear tight hairstyles, use hair rollers overnight, or utilize harsh chemicals, your hair may start to thin. Topical steroids, antifungal shampoos, supplements, or antibiotics can help with this particular condition. To help prevent this type of hair loss, we recommend not using relaxers, avoid putting your hair in a ponytail, and wear a weave and braid your hair for a shorter amount of time.
- Postpartum hair loss – This condition happens to women after childbirth. Because of the dramatic hormone changes, you may experience hair loss. While this process is very normal, if you still experience hair loss in a year, there may be another underlying reason.
- Thyroid hair loss – If you have hormonal imbalances caused by your thyroid, it can cause you to lose hair. Patients will need to have blood work done or attend an appointment with an endocrinologist.
Schedule an appointment to learn more about reasons for hair loss.
Hair restoration is possible with treatments like FUT hair transplant surgery, FUE hair transplant surgery, PRP therapy, and cell regeneration therapy. One of the most critical parts of helping you with hair loss is finding the reason for why it occurs. This will help us understand how to holistically treat your hair and provide the best procedures for your needs. Millions of Americans, both men and women, suffer from this problem, and our team at Nirvana Med Spa in Little Rock, AR is here to help. Please schedule an appointment with Dr. Salman Hashmi for innovative treatment options.